Your guide about Travel, Work, Live or Study in Australia


Home  Site map   Advertise

Australia Cities Study Travel Work Lodging Visas Diverse
Topics Study:
  Course Guide
  Tuition System
  Study-High School
  Course Recognition
  Costs to Study
  How to Enrol
  Courses to Migrate
  Student Agents
  Possible Problems
  Study F.A.Q.



Sponsored Link
English courses in Australia
in Australia

In Australia there are some funny definitions for the type of English spoken. In some parts of Melbourne or Sydney, where there are large presence of immigrants, you will be able to listen to a Chinglish, that is a mixture of Chinese and English, or perhaps a Vietinglish, Philipinglish, or even a Portinglish (Portuguese and English), Spinglish (Spanish and English), with a lot of accent. It doesn't matter how funny your English is, because in a way or another, Australians are already used to people with accents due its multicultural and diverse society, each one expressing themselves in their own and unique way. But in relation to studies and on the type of courses chosen, an evaluation of your English Level will be necessary.

IELTS means International English Language Test System, is the standard used in Australia to measure the Level of English from people that speak languages other than English. It is officially used by the government, for example for Immigration purposes, and also by Schools and University, to evaluate the English level of the student. Not all the courses demand a test IELTS for admission, but the majority of Universities do require it. Alternatively, almost all courses including University accept the American test TOEFL, with a table of equivalent scores to the IELTS. The IELTS is composed of 4 sub-scores that are: Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking. The result is measured by the average of these sub-scores. 

English courses do not require these tests. When the student arrives in Australia before initiate a course, he or she is assessed with a test in the school for the level where the student will fit best. Almost all English courses divide their classes in levels from 1 to 6, being 1 the lowest, and 6 the highest. This means that if you are in a grade 3, your level of English will be about the intermediate, and you will enter in a group of level 3. After some time of study and your English improves, the school will promote you to a higher level in a different group. If you to find that the group is too hard or too very easy, you can talk with the teacher or to the director of the school, and they will fit you in a more appropriate group. In some cases, the teacher may modify the classes to make it easier or a bit harder. Students with a course duration of 12 weeks or more and with a student visa may work up to 40 hours per fortnight.

Technical courses are divided into 2 groups, TAFE and Private Technical schools. TAFE Institutes are technical courses of the government, and usually only accepts a student after having a result of the IELTS (if you have a TOEFL, it is necessary to consult the course if they will accept or not). Private Technical schools may accept a level such as upper intermediate without the necessity of the IELTS score. However an internal test for evaluation will be made, and if the student does not have enough English to follow the lessons, they will be offered an English course until that student gets the required level. TAFE courses in general ask for IELTS 5,5. 

University courses demand a IELTS score or results equivalent in TOEFL. The majority of the University qualifications requires as minimum IELTS 6, with no sub-score less than 5.5. Courses of Law for example, demand a IELTS score of 7.0, because of the amount of writing, reading and speaking that the course demands. When applying for a University Undergraduate course or Post Graduate course, they will inform you on the required level. Students who are already attending a University course in their home country, but still do not have the necessary IELTS, can most of the time be accepted and enroll in a University course, but conditional to the IELTS result. This means that the student will study English first, and when they reach the required level, they will be able to initiate (to continue) the University course. 

Agreements between some Technical Courses and English Courses can facilitate entry to a University course in relation to the English level.

Table Guide of Conversion IELTS to TOEFL




1 Paper Electronic
3 - 4    
4 400 97
4 - 5 450 133
5 - 6 523 193
6 - 7 553 217
7 - 8 587 240
8 - 9  600+  

IELTS Official website

More about Student Visa and about Study and Work in Australia.

Tip: If you don't have an English Background, try to speak English as much as you can in Australia. Even with people from the same nationality than yours. It will boost your learning.

Check our Course Guide  for English Courses in Sydney, English Courses in Melbourne, English Courses in Brisbane, English Courses in Perth, English Courses in Adelaide, English Courses on the Gold Coast and many other Australian Cities. Contact & Enrol online


Come to study in Australia, you will love it. 

 Adriano de Souza studied in Australia .

Google Web Portal





 | Terms of Use Privacy | Who are we Advertise | Contacts |

© Portal - All rights reserved - The reproduction of texts and photos without authorization is prohibited.