Since 2002

Your guide about Travel, Work, Live or Study in Australia


Home  Site map   Advertise

Australia Cities Study Travel Work Lodging Visas Diverse
Work Topics:
  Types of Work
  Labor Laws
  Legal Work
  How much Pay
  Income Taxation
  How to get a job
  Work in Demand
  Try a Job Online
  Work for Students
  Working Holiday
  Work F.A.Q.



Sponsored Link

to Work in

   To get the permission to work in Australia is not the only thing that could be considered a problem, in fact to get the visa allowing to work is just one step in the bureaucratic system, and if you follow the rules, you will get it. But there are many other facts involved about working in Australia, and undestanding them, may change the way and your stay in Australia.

One of the most important problems to face is related to specific licences to perform most of jobs in Australia. Each year more and more qualifications and courses are required from the applicants, demanding specific knowledge and certificates. The Council, the Government and the professional boards regulate most professional qualifications. For example a plumber registered in Queensland cannot work in NSW State unless the plumber is registered also in NSW, meaning pay the annual registration there. The same happens with the electrician qualified from UK, to work in Australia he will need to be accepted and recognized, means adaptation to the market or some little courses to fit into Australian regulations and to also get a local registration ( and pay of course). Most professionals qualifications in Australia are regulated, with few exceptions such as in hospitality where chefs do not necessary have to have a chef course, although is very desirable, in the IT industry where the knowledge and experience are still considered enough to get a job and be recognised by the industry and the sales people, that to work in the retail do not need courses but professional attitude and a lot of good talking. Anything else you will need a professional qualification and in most cases followed by registrations and licences.

Note: Some University Courses and Technical Diplomas done in Australia offer in the end of the course to successfully students, the opportunity to be straight away recognized by the professional board and the permission work in Australia with the qualification. That is one of the great advantages of studying in Australia, besides to learn the way Australians business want from the worker, it is a valuable skill employees are looking for, facilitating getting the job.

Syndicates and Unions were very strong in the past resulting in Australia be considered one of the most bureaucratic countries in relation to work. Although the unions with the new laws nowadays have less power than in the past, and many workers are not compulsory registered any more, they still have a strong influence as regulated forces and in many key areas, the total control. Many qualifications such as doctors, dentists, lowers, are considered top dollar professionals and are required many courses and licences. Any person with qualifications done overseas will have to face many tests, and a long bureaucratic process to be recognized in Australia. If you really want to work in Australia make a deep breath and do not give up, with infinity patience and following the rules, you will succeed.

It doesn't matter that you are an astronaut but if want to work with a forklift machine in Australia, you will need to enrol in a short course and show the licence to drive the machine. it is simple and clear. Most of this requirements come from one source: The Civil Responsibility. You can understand this as who is the responsible and who will pay, or who will be processed in the court. 

The Civil Responsibility has deep relations with the insurance and liability. In the above case of the forklift, if the worker hurt someone and if he doesn't have the licence to drive, the insurance will not pay the costs and will cancel the policy, leaving the business with a big hospital bill plus any payment for justice and lowers from the case. Restaurants for example are required to make a liability insurance for 5 millions at least, so it will cover any problems related in the eventuality of customers sick from the food. Food establishments in Australia are now required to have at least one person with the course of hygiene and handling in the staff. Besides that, all facilities of the restaurant and food takeaways are inspected and registered by the Health department and Council, otherwise the insurance company will not cover. Even Baby Sitters are requiring a Blue Card, that is a kind of clean file from the police and the First Aid course. That's why most companies are now getting contractors instead of employers. It is less expensive for a business to contract a self employer such as cleaners with their own ABN Number and sometimes the liabilities insurance to cover any damage done while cleaning a house.

The excess of regulations is costly and annoying but in the other side is the way Australia organize and protect their workers ( besides to protect your investment of studying to be a professional). If you are thinking to work in Australia, you will probably need a specific licence or course. The good news are that many simple jobs that required licences such as serving in a bar, can be achieved in short courses and it is very affordable.  Without these qualifications the only jobs left are waiters, kitchen hand, glassies, retail etc. 

Big John and friends wanted to sell the catch to restaurants, but they were very disappointed because they would need a licence for commercial fishing.

Google Web Portal






 | Terms of Use Privacy | Who are we Advertise | Contacts |

© Portal - All rights reserved - The reproduction of texts and photos without authorization is prohibited.