Since 2002

Your guide about Travel, Work, Live or Study in New Zealand

  New Zealand

Home  Site map   Advertise

New Zealand Cities Study Travel Work Lodging Visas Diverse
Topics: Lodging
  Real Estate
  Buy Places
  Au Pair
  Backpacker Hostel
  Bed & Breakfast
  Hotels & Motels
  For Students
  For Tourists
  For Migrants
  General Tips



Sponsored Link

in New

One of the first things that your will get asked when you look for a place to rent at a real estate in New Zealand, are letters of references (or telephone numbers) from people that know you, such as previous real estate, from your boss or a supervisor, or anyone else that will indicate you as a good tenant. A big bank statement can sometimes eliminate the need for references, but legally they cannot ask for that, so it is up to you to show them. If the Real Estate after calling your references and checking all the documentations, are not entirely satisfied with your as an applicant, you may be refused tenancy, without any explanations.

If you have been accepted as a tenant, they will ask you to pay the rent in advance (around 15 Ė 30 days, varies from company to company). Apart from the Rent you will also be asked to pay a Bond, which is basically a deposit that is returned to you if the property is in the same condition when your contract is finished. They will keep the bond if the property is not in a good condition, for example given back completely dirty, windows broken or cracked, ripped curtains, holes in the walls etc..Basically you need to give back the property the same way you received it, otherwise you can say goodbye to the bond. So itís always a good idea to inspect the property closely in the first week you come in, and make a list of things that are already present and that might give you problems in the future. For example, stains on the walls, any cracked glass, kitchen cupboard handle broken, etc. Give a copy to the real estate and keep a copy for your record until the bond has been given back.

Contracts are for a determined time, and nothing can take you out of there until the contract has expired (unless you break the contract, for example you donít follow the law and rules listed then you may be evicted). You have to remember that a contact is a contract and if you sign a lease for 1 or 2 years, you will need to continue renting until the contract expires, or you will need to pay a penalty fee.  At the same token you cannot simply be asked to leave if the contract has not expired. Most contracts are made for a 6-month lease or 1-year lease, but sometimes the proprietor may accept a shorter o longer period.

There are two types of property that are leased of for rent; furnished and unfurnished. The furnished ones normally come fully equipped with all furniture, TV, tables, kitchen appliances, utensils etc..The bond for furnished houses or apartments are normally a little more expensive. They are also leased for shorter periods and are a little more expensive. They are often rented by students, people on holiday, or for as a form of temporary accommodation. The unfurnished property will not provide you with anything except a fridge and a stove, which in New Zealand is considered to be part of a property. If anything breaks such as plumbing matters, or electricity, or the window will not open, basically anything that does not wok in the house, the real estate is obligated to send someone to fix at their cost. But of course if you break a window or put a hole in the wall, itís your responsibility or they will take it out of you bond. If you tell the real estate about the problem, and they donít send someone to fix it, it is best to put your problems on paper and hand it to them a copy and keep a copy. Its happened to me before and that is the only way that they did something about it.

Here are some problems encountered when renting:

Noise complaint Ė The maximum volume level permitted during the day in New Zealand is of around 90 decibels, and between 10 at night to 6 in the morning is 60. It depends on the neighbour, but in some instances the police can be called, or an official complaint made about you to the body corporate. The same way someone can complain about you can complain about him or her. Parties at night need to be kept to a reasonable noise level.

Badly parked Car Ė or parking in front of someoneís garage or car can see your neighbour making an official complaint.

Behind on the Rent Ė within 15 days you will receive a letter, and then again within 30 days, at that time you can prepare yourself to be evicted within 48 hours. Although you normally pay your rent weekly, you can choose to pay it as many weeks in advance to save you having to make the trip to the bank.

Google Web Portal





 | Terms of Use Privacy | Who are we Advertise | Contacts |                                                           

© Portal - All rights reserved - The reproduction of texts and photos without authorization is prohibited.