Since 2002

Your guide about Travel, Work, Live or Study in New Zealand

  New Zealand

Home  Site map   Advertise

New Zealand Cities Study Travel Work Lodging Visas Diverse
Topics: Work
  Types of Work
  Labour Laws
  Legal Work
  How much Pay
  Income Taxation
  How to get a job
  Work in Demand
  Try a Job Online
  Work for Students
  Work Problems
  Work F.A.Q.



Sponsored Link

Working Holiday
in New Zealand

The Working Holiday visa to NZ allows people from 18 to 30 years old to come to NZ and work legally during 1 year. During this year you may work in any kind of work you may get . It is possible to travel, work and study in the courses for less than 3 months (otherwise you will need to change to a student visa). Each country may have different requirements for this visa and few are even are allowing people to up 35 years, so better assess first the requirements for your country. If you want to travel around internationally,  no problems as this visa will allow you to enter, leave and return to New Zealand for multiple timesduring the 12 months from the day you will arrive in New Zealand. 

  After 12 months of WHV you may be able to extend your for up to another 11 months with the Working Holidaymaker Extension Visa if you can proof that you have worked during 3 months of your stay in a farm doing horticulture or viticulture. You may do that attaching evidence of your employment in the horticulture and viticulture industries, such as letters from your employers and Inland Revenue Department statements when you apply for the extension. Another option if you could not meet the requirements, try to get "Seasonal Work Extension visa" instead. 

List of countries allowed in have WHV to NZ: Argentina-Austria- Belgium- Brazil- Canada- Chile- China- Czech- Denmark- Estonia- Finland- France- Germany- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region-Ireland-Israel-Italy-Japan- Korea- Latvia- Malaysia- Malta- Mexico- Netherlands-Norway- Peru- Poland-Singapore (work exchange programme)- Slovakia-Slovenia Spain- Sweden-Taiwan-Thailand-Turkey- United Kingdom- USA- Uruguay .

Application online for this visa is very fast and convenient and most of the countries in this scheme are allowed to do that but few are not. Usually, the online application can be made from anywhere in the world, but for some nationalities will require you to be a in your home country when you lodge your application, so better check your country requiments first. For the application online, you will need access to the internet ( of course) and have a Visa or MasterCard credit card to pay. If your application is approved, your work visa will be issued electronically and that means it would be the same way as if you get this visa issued in a passport, except that instead of it being a label in the passport, it is a printed version to keep with the passport. Once you are approved for the working holiday visa, the details are kept electronically in the immigration database. Then you will receive an e-mail advising that the status of your application has changed and you will be able to view the outcome of your application on the Immigration New Zealand website. 

Note: It is very important to  keep a printed copy of your electronic work visa with your passport. When you fill out your online application, please you enter your details very carefully and must be exactly the same as in your passport. Look for details such as your name, your date of birth, your passport number and its expiry date. 

Requirements for NZ WHV - If  your country is listed and allowing you to submit your application online ( and in most cases they are), you can do this from anywhere in the world, including in New Zealand, but it's important to check the particulars of your country's scheme to confirm this, as few countries are only allowed to have the application online and others can do manual and online. The requirements and conditions to get the Working Holiday Visa to NZ are below: 

  • Have your nationality passport valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand.
  • be at least 18 and not more than 30 or 35 years old ( depends on the country)
  • not bring children with you.
  • hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket.
  • have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here (but for some countries this total amount is different). 
  • meet our health and character requirements  health requirements from selected doctors approved in your country ( if you need a medical examination or chest X-ray for your application, you need to select a doctor and/or radiologist from an approved list of medical doctors and radiologists).
  • hold medical and comprehensive hospital insurance for the length of your stay.
  • be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit.
  • not have been approved a visa under a Working Holiday Scheme before.
  • you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work visa while you are there).
  • you must not work for the same employer for more than three months.
  • you can enroll in one or more courses of training or study of up to three months’ duration. 
  • List for each country ( NZ immigration website)

New Zealand has a specific number of places for each country and the maximum number of they will accept per year and the deadline for applying for it. If you miss the date or the quote number you will have to wait for the next year. For example, A country has 100 openings per year, and registration must be done until the first of October each year. Another country has 500 vacancies and apply until December 7. 

Tax and income for working holidays in NZ- Like all other kiwi workers, you will need to get an IRD number so your employer can deduct tax from your earnings and at the correct rate. In New Zealand, you pay tax on a pay as you earn (PAYE) basis. This means that there should not get a large refund or an amount to pay when you leave NZ. For more information about taxes in NZ page or at Inland Revenue's Travel to New Zealand webpage Inland Revenue's website.

 Fees to the application for NZ Working Holiday visa It's better always check in immigration NZ fees page . The fees for WHV in NZ in 2012 = NZ$165.

Note : Countries such as Canada, Germany, Japan, Taiwan and the United Kingdom doing the Working Holiday Schemes in NZ may undertake one or more courses of study as long as the total duration of all of the courses undertaken does not exceed six months.

We need you to take care of us. 

Google Web Portal





 | Terms of Use Privacy | Who are we Advertise | Contacts |                                                           

© Portal - All rights reserved - The reproduction of texts and photos without authorization is prohibited.